Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Raising Boys

We went for a walk/bike ride the other day.  We are quite the sight, let me tell you:  Caleb and Nolan on bikes, Griffin in the stroller and me wrangling all of them plus Caspian.  Everyone we pass shakes their heads, laughs and says something like, "Wow, you have your hands full, 3 boys and a dog".  To which, I just smile and agree.  

I know I have my hands full (as well as my mind and heart as well) but while I know that life is crazy and chaotic now, they will grow up and become more and more independent.  So, I choose to embrace the craziness (at least today) and not worry about the laundry or the messy house and just play games and hold my baby because they grow up way too fast.

Speaking of growing up too fast, Caleb graduated from preschool.  Aaaahhhh, watch out kindergarten!

And since I love poetry, here is a poem I came across that made me smile:

Raising Boys

(Roberta I. Teague)

I scrub the wall of fingerprints,
Pick up the mounds of clothes.
I sweep the dirt that shoes track in-
Wish I could use a hose!

Meals are served from dawn to dark,
Dirty dishes crowd the sink.
Just when they're washed and put away-
Everyone wants a drink!

The washer pulls the dirty grime
From pants worn thin and patched.
They look so very neat and clean-
Yuck, look what the pockets hatched!


Broken bones and bloody knees,
I should have been a nurse.
I take it all in shaky stride-
Just grateful it's not worse!

Screams and shouts and arguments
Test the keeping of my cool.
They left the neighbor's faucet on-
See their new front yard pool!

A soothing bath is ecstasy,
A reward at the end of my rope.
Raising boys isn't really bad-
But first I must wash the soap!

A rose can say I Love You,
Orchids can enthrall;
But a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,
Oh my, that says it all!




Three handsome boys!


Caleb graduating from preschool! *sniff*sniff*


No comments: